Re: [OM] OM Aperture Induced Vibration Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Aperture Induced Vibration Question
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:23:00 +0200
Hi Lama, Moose and all.

>>Does anyone have links to ideas about upgrading from a 70s era
>>cadmium-sulfide
>>cell to a silicon-blue one?  If I'm adjusting a pot anyway...
>>

>CDS cell generates its own current to drive the meter. Si-blue is a
>light variable resistor, so it needs a power source.

I think you're speaking about Selenium cells vs. CdS.

AFAIK, Selenium cells generate enough power to drive a galvanometer, thus
no need for batteries. However, they're useless in low light levels (below
EV 7 or so -- that's 1/30s @ F2 with ASA 100, or equivalent). They do go
bad, depending on the total amount of light received thru their lifes.
Sometimes they can be recalibrated -- with further loss of sensitivity.

On the other hand, CdS cells (like those on the OM-1 and XA) are light
variable resistors. Connecting them to a battery generates a current
proportional to light level (not sure about linearity!) -- in total
darkness there's almost no current at all. Much more sensitive than 'Se'
cells, they have a somewhat slow response to changes of light level.

Finally, there are the SBC (aka SPD, aka PhotoDiodes). They do generate
their own current, but so *small* that it wouldn't be able to drive a meter
needle, so it must be amplified by active electronic components (like the
delicate MOSFET on the OM-2).

Hope this helps,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>