Re: [OM] OM touch up paint?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM touch up paint?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jim Brokaw wrote:

> I've matched flat black pretty easily <g> for the shades, but the gloss is
> really sort of a 'semi-satin gloss black'. On my camera fix list the
> suggested way to achieve this was to paint with a fully-glossy paint
> (spray-on auto paint, either from rattle-cans or with an airbrush) then use
> a very fine rubbing compound on the paint after its fully dried and cured
> (perhaps baked in a low oven helps...?) and rub to the 'semi-satin gloss'
> desired.

It's next to impossible to find a perfect match for the various types of paint
that Olympus used on the OM's.  Each OM has its own colour of black, and the
OM-1/2 had several different colours depending on the vintage.  To make things
even more complicated, the black on the OM-3/4 isn't paint, it's a powder coat
and no paint will match it perfectly.  The closest match you'll get is to
take a sample cover to an automotive paint shop and have them colour match it.
They'll match both the colour and finish by adding dyes and flattening agents.
Unfortunatly the smallest quantity of paint you'll be able to get is about a
litre and spraying the paint requires the use of some rather nasty chemicals.
The results are quite good though.
                                        -mark