Re: [OM] Removing and attaching Adaptall mounts?

Subject: Re: [OM] Removing and attaching Adaptall mounts?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:31:30 -0400
Until someone types in the "official" instructions, this will get you going.
These are *MY* instructions for removing a mount from
a Tamron Adaptall-2 lens.

*********
REMOVING THE MOUNT,
for right-handed photographers
*********
1.  Put caps on both ends and set the aperture at f/5.6.

2.  Working over a table, hold the lens in your left hand, with the aperture
scale upright.  Look at the mount end.  You'll see a
red dot on the mount and a blue-green (cyan) dot on the lens.

3.  Imagine the mount as the face of a clock.  At the 10 o'clock position,
press the serrated button with the thumb of your right
hand.

4.  Holding the lens firmly, rotate the *mount* counter-clockwise.  (Brits:
anti-clockwise.)   The mount and lens do not slide apart
smoothly so be sure you don't drop either part.  Most of all, be sure you don't
swipe the body off the table when the mount and lens
come apart!

*********
ATTACHING THE MOUNT,
for right-handed photographers
*********
These are *MY* instructions for attaching a Tamron Adapatall2 to an OM body,
then attaching a Tamron lens to the mount...

1.  Before you put the mount on a 3 or 4, check the mount for the "offending
screw heads".  Don't mount it until you're sure you're
not going to damage the camera.

2.  Hold the body in your left hand and the mount in your right.  Align the
camera's red dot with the mount's red dot.  Attach them,
then rotate the mount clockwise, because you're mounting a lens on the body.
It clicks into place like anything else you mount on
the flange.

3.  Now put the camera on a table, with the tripod socket down.  Imagine the
mount as the face of a clock.  At 10 o'clock, you'll
find the blue-green (cyan) dot on the Adaptall2 mount.

3.  Set the Tamron lens on f/5.6.  Find the blue-green (cyan) dot on the lens
itself and align it with the cyan dot of the mount but
DO NOT mate them yet.  You'll find a slot in the lens at the 1 o'clock position
as you sight from the front element towards the
camera body.  This part is important.

4.  This is the only step that's a bit tricky.  With the lens still at f/5.6,
the lens shows an indexing slot at the 1 o'clock
position to the mount.  On my mount, the tab is painted glossy black.  You have
to rotate the mounts' tab so it aligns (at 1
o'clock) with the lens'es slot.  The lens'es slot accepts the mount's tab.

5.  Just rotate the lens into place and it clicks.  (That's clockwise so the
cyan dot rotates upward to line up with the red dot
under the chin of the pentaprism.  This is the same direction you turned to
mate a lens with the body.)

That's it.  Now go out and do good work.  On my Tamron 135 f/2.5, the
depth-of-field acts differently from my Zuikos.  Viewed from
the behind the eyepiece, at 5 o'clock, there's a skinny lever with a serrated
edge, (not the lever with a smooth edge).  To preview
the depth-of-field, rotate the serrated lever clockwise, towards 5:30.  It's
not nearly as nice as the straight-in action of the
Zuikos and it's a hard adjustment to make, in my opinion.

You'll probably want to keep the lens and the mount together for a while.  To
take the Tamron off the body, together with its mount,
look at the body from the front of the lens again.  Find the serrated button at
2 o'clock on your imaginary clock face.  Push it in
and you can treat the Tamron as a single unit.  It will bayonet on and off like
a solid, top-quality, Kiron... or even a compact,
fuzzy Zuiko.

Ducking for cover,
Lama

From: "Curtis P. Hedman"