Re: [OM] Problem with OM2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem with OM2n
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:09:01 -0500
Purposely pointing the md hole at a halogen lamp is not considered normal
use, and, SURE, if your dead set on creating a light leak, that'll probably
do it.

You can set the camera, md hole DOWN on a picnic table in the hot summer
sun, and EVENTUALLY, you WILL get a light leak, not sure how long it will
take though.

Quoting a short passage from the 2S service manual (and probably applies to
2N too)
"Please instruct users to keep the md cover attached to the camera bottom
while the motor drive or winder is not used.  If the camera is left in a
light place without the md cover for a long time, film may be exposed to
light leaking through the camera bottom."

Also,

 "Light leak may occur (rarely) when long-time exposure is performed with
the camera placed under a bright light source for shooting a very dark
object such as microscope photography.  Slight light leak through the
eyepiece unit affects the exposure.  Use black cloth to cover the eyepiece
in order to prevent it from the possible leak."

From my own practical experience I found that another light leak can be
created this way: In flash setups where the camera is on a tripod and the
flash unit(s) are placed slightly behind the camera, film fogging can occur
by electronic flash passing through the eyepiece of the OM-1 through 2N.
John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
mail:  omtech@xxxxxxxxx
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
631-424-2121  Turnaround 4-5 weeks