Re: [OM] Problem with OM2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem with OM2n
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:46:21 -0300
on 27/10/2003 17:09, John Hermanson at omtech@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Purposely pointing the md hole at a halogen lamp is not considered normal
> use, and, SURE, if your dead set on creating a light leak, that'll probably
> do it.
>
> You can set the camera, md hole DOWN on a picnic table in the hot summer
> sun, and EVENTUALLY, you WILL get a light leak, not sure how long it will
> take though.
>
> Quoting a short passage from the 2S service manual (and probably applies to
> 2N too)
> "Please instruct users to keep the md cover attached to the camera bottom
> while the motor drive or winder is not used.  If the camera is left in a
> light place without the md cover for a long time, film may be exposed to
> light leaking through the camera bottom."
>
> Also,
>
> "Light leak may occur (rarely) when long-time exposure is performed with
> the camera placed under a bright light source for shooting a very dark
> object such as microscope photography.  Slight light leak through the
> eyepiece unit affects the exposure.  Use black cloth to cover the eyepiece
> in order to prevent it from the possible leak."
>

>> From my own practical experience I found that another light leak can be
> created this way: In flash setups where the camera is on a tripod and the
> flash unit(s) are placed slightly behind the camera, film fogging can occur
> by electronic flash passing through the eyepiece of the OM-1 through 2N.

John,

I apologize for making you having to consult the textbooks... I hate to make
people waste time.
I wasn't trying to create a light leak on purpose, neither was I making a
normal use of the camera at that event: it's been years since after
completely advancing film with the lever, shutter release button wouldn't go
down. I must make a second stroke to the wind lever and only then shutter
button can be pressed down. This bothers me as much as T32 not firing at
1/60.
That night I was in the mood for taking off the md cap and observe the
coupling gear incomplete rotation after wind lever advance, under a strong
light. I didn't take into account that the camera was loaded. When I had the
film processed, I thought I had learned that what the owner's manual says
was true in the end. Under unusual and extreme situations, it is true.

Thanks very much for your other two tips on light leak through the eyepiece.

Saludos,

Fernando.