Re: [OM] Control pack charging

Subject: Re: [OM] Control pack charging
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:30:24 +0100
Mark,

You are right as far as the contact pins are concerned (although one
of the pins is not connected through to the other end of the relay
cable).
But IMHO the implication of this is, that connecting ANY power source
to the motor drive (e.g. a 16 volt battery, without any current
limiter at all!) would not only provide energy operate it but also at
the same time charge the NiCad pack continously. Would that indeed be
true?
E.g. using the AC Control box, meant for long term use in the
laboratory, would keep charging the NiCad for an indefinite time. I
know that 15-16 volts will probably not harm the NiCad Pack, but fresh
batteries could give more than their nominal voltage... perhaps 18-20
volts. How about that? Perhaps many people using a 'strange' DC source
did damage their NiCad Packs that way already... or am I overlooking
something?

Frank.