Re: [OM] Control pack charging

Subject: Re: [OM] Control pack charging
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:48:10 +0100
Mark,

According to 'The Olympus OM Way (pp 247) the relay cord was meant to
match both the Grip and the NiCd pack - and of course also the AC
Control box which cannot operate without it.
Inside the NiCad pack there is nothing but a diode in the circuit for
incoming current. (I know because, long ago, I have adapted the
circuitry in one of my 18V grips to be able to use 750 mAh NiCad AA
cells in it and use the original charger to recharge the resulting
'grip NiCd pack'. Replacing 12 AA cells and recharge them separately
was a real pain. The charging from the Olympus NiCad charger took 5
times as long as the original NiCad pack.... but 'overcharging' was
practically impossible)

So there is no current limiter AFAIK. I think that the fact that
Olympus tells us not to use anything over 16 V DC for an external
power source is a way of tackling the problem: the NiCad pack cannot
easily be damaged when only 16 volt DC is applied.

BTW as pointed out by Piers Hemy I was mistaken in another point: of
course one cannot use the AC box together with the NiCad pack. sorry!

Frank.