Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:51:52 -0500
Doesn't the lens say 300mm on it? It is a 300mm lens then.
And, it is a 300mm lens on an E-1. A 300mm lens that can
have a smaller image circle. It may be a very sharp lens, but
it would be a 300mm sharp lens, and if it could be attached to
a 35mm camera body, would still be a 300mm lens (but may
not perform as well with the smaller image circle). I could
crop my 35mm film, call my lens a 600mm equivalent FOV,
but it would still be a lens with an optical focal length of 300mm.
If I have a 4x5 camera with a 180mm lens attached, I still call it
a 180mm lens. We are mixing up optical focal length versus FOV.
So, for this camera, the E-1, this is a 300mm lens.

Wayne