Re: Re: [OM] concert photos

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] concert photos
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:24:45 -0500
If you're friends with the band, you can stick your palm into their light and
open up one stop.  This is not usually practical so you can spot meter using a
2S or 4[t][i].  Read a cheek and open up one stop.  If you can impose yourself
on the band, I'd do it by using a tripod for every shot instead of using flash.

If you are in a situation at home where you're getting about 1/60th at f/2.8,
with EI 800, you're pretty close to concert conditions.  Some are brighter but
most are about 1 stop lower.  I'd run a test roll (around the house using ASA
800) because my cameras have run into underexposure in low light like this.  If
you know you're getting underexposure it can work to your advantage with the
2[n].  Since I didn't have a spot meter on the 2 but I did have a spot-lighted
singer with a black background, the 1 & 1/2 stop underexposure (without
compensation) gave me just the RIGHT exposure.  I set the 2[n] on Auto and it
always gave me great results (meaning at least a bit of shadow detail and
didn't blow out the highlights.)

All film is overly sensitive to red concert lights and tends to blanche out
with reds.  I'd avoid Fuji 1600 because it adds hyped saturation to the problem.

Lama