Re: [OM] [OT] Film Quest-the epilogue

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Film Quest-the epilogue
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:41:29 -0500
At what distance would such a print hanging on a wall be viewed?

Reminds me of the time I went to an Adams exhibit back in the late 70s or early
80s.  As is my custom, I procrastinated until nearly the last day, thus being
in a crowd such that I could only move with the flow.  So, I was pretty much
stuck with whomever happened to be next to me as we moved through the exhibit.
And, is always my luck, I was next to idiots.  A guy about my age and his
father made inane comments the entire time.  Most annoying was their habit of
getting "up close and personal" with most of the prints.  When we got to a
print that was about 30x40", from a negative made in the mid-30s, the young
expert,  practically sniffing the grain structure in the print.  To his dad he
said, "Yeah, I think that's 35mm."

I couldn't STAND it anymore, so I said, "No, that's AT LEAST 4x5, but more
likely 5x7 or even 8x10."  They turned to me and said, "Do you think so?"  To
which I replied, "No, I KNOW SO."  I gave them a brief explanation of my
certitude, and they shut up the rest of the time.

Earl