Re: [OM] OT Alcatraz

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Alcatraz
From: "Danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:47:20 -1000

Search came up with the history
http://www.nps.gov/alcatraz/indian.html
Dan

I was on the island about a year ago, but I don't remember what the
white was caused by. I do remember seeing some large white patches left
by the bird colonies but I don't know if this is one of them. During the
indian takeover of the island several buildings ended damaged. The
wardens residence is easily seen in the picture.

One of the interesting but useless things one learns when visiting there
is that a number of movies have used the sound of the cell block doors
being closed (star wars etc). I'm hoping to go back in the spring or
early summer when the fog can create interesting photo ops.

A couple other links that may be of interest are

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Alcatraz.htm (pictures of the outside)
http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/mainpg.htm (lots of pictures of the
inside)
http://www.inetours.com/images/Snglimgs/Alcatraz_Abv.jpg (an aerial