[OM] Re: Back seal for Epic

Subject: [OM] Re: Back seal for Epic
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:45:03 -0500
Hi Clint,
In section "E: CARING FOR YOUR WEATHERPROOF CAMERA", #6 shows a swimmer
standing waist deep in water, with the Stylus Epic at
eyelevel.  The picture is labeled "X" and the text ambiguously says,

"Rubber gaskets are located inside the rear of the camera.  Check the gaskets
for wear and carefully remove any sand and dust to
maintain a weatherproof seal... <edited out the 1st 3 bullet points.  The 4th
bullet continues>
The gaskets should be replaced after approximately three years, although they
may require replacement earlier than that depending on
use and wear."

The ebay seller said it had a light leak so I read the manual.  The manual
refers to "gaskets" (plural) three times.  I'm hearing
that the film cartridge is the only one that's available for purchase.  If I
had it to do again I'd just make a home-brew seal for
the cart.  (Are you reading this, Brian?)

Lama

From: <clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
you needed the rubber ring that goes all the way around the back door to
maintain the weather-proof seal!  Yes, that one
> is attached to the back cover at the factory, and it isn't available
> separately.  And honestly, I have never replaced one for
"routine