Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:24:05 -0500
Is it possible to make an adapter for N*kon or C*non lense on the E-1. It would be interesting if Olympus were to introduce adapters for a number of major companies lenses at the same time.

gregg

Cannon and Nikon have a LOT MORE existing customers than Olympus ever had. It is probably more worth their while to cater to them. When you factor in that the E-1 is primarily being marketed to pros, the number probably becomes negligible. In fact, do any of us count as Olympus CUSTOMERS? When was the last time any of us bought a new OM body or lens? (You don't have to answer that, I know I'm not going to.) :)

I think Olympus probably (and rightly so) believes they will gain more customers by not compromising the system than the will keep by making it backward compatible.

I did notice something interesting in one of the reviews though, the reviewer noted that there was a setting to correct the vignetting you would get when using standard 35mm lenses even though there was falloff with the system lenses. It could be that if the 4/3 system catches on Olympus intends the system to be used with other lenses (such as OM.) My guess is that they will leave adapters to a third party manufacturer though.

Jim Couch

Winsor Crosby wrote:

That was something I never understood. If Nikon and Canon could carry their existing customers forward it just seemed perverse that Oly would kiss us off.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA