Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:39:05 EST
In a message dated 11/5/2003 11:26:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I don't think so...The "real pros" use Canon over Oly for three reasons
> - first, Canon came out first by a long time; two, most "real pros" were
> already using Canon or Nikon equipment and were heavily invested in it;
> and, third, the high-end Canon and Nikon bodies can shoot fast
> sequences, which some sports shooters need, and many more THINK they
> need...as though some of the all-time iconic sports images weren't shot
> in the pre-motor drive era.

I think you missed a fourth, and maybe the most important, reason so many
pros use Canon: direct sponsorship and an extensive support network. Something
Oly never had, at least not to the extent of Nikon and Canon, even in the OM
system's heyday.

If Oly wants to win over the pros they will need to convince them that
Olympus will be there for them providing gear and exceptional service,
worldwide.
What's the likelyhood of Olympus making a major presence at, say, the 2004
Olympics (now there's a marketer's dream!) providing dozens or hundreds of pros
with E-1's and 300/2.8's? Then they have to repeat that at major events
worldwide.

John or Clint would probably have a feel for how likely that would be, at
least from an Olympus America perspective, but I think we all can guess.

Paul keeps-on-guessing-and-comes-to-the-same-conclusion Schings