Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......

Subject: Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:19:15 -0800
Thanks for the concerns about me. It's been a heck of a week and a half...

Well, folks, I'm alive and well and not burned out. And I never want to do that
again. Ever. I wish that others up here had fared as well as I have.

I'll spare the list the long details, but for any interested, I'll happily
forward a copy of what I'm writing (just email my usual address, it's back up)
to some other friends and will eventually get it up on my web page. I had to
get out of here on Saturday the 25th, and was a refugee put up (and put up
with) by some good friends until last evening. Computers were sitting in
another friend's extra room, which is why the web site was down (not that there
was any power here to run them anyway).

Suffice to say that my house was spared (as well as others in this immediate
vicinity), believe it or not, in large part due to our proximity to an auto
parts store that happens to supply parts to the various fire departments and
emergency agencies up here. It reached to less than 1/2 mile (as best I know
right now) at its point of closest approach. I have no damage whatsoever as far
as I can determine at this time.

OM content? No OMs were lost by me, they were on the priority list to be packed
and taken along. :-) I'm sorry to say that circumstances prevented the shooting
of any pictures during the trip out of here, but I have seen some sights that
were simply amazing. Words sorta fail in providing
a good description.

Here's a link:

http://maps.msn.com/map.aspx?ID=27CiJ.&C=34.23718656418437,-117.28721833731035&L=USA&A=3&S=405,320&P=
      34.24352 -117.27761      1      92325      L1
&PN=1362225139&TI=92325

My house is just south of the little stub road at map center. The road dead
ends at my driveway. To the southeast you should find "Skyland Drive." That
area burned.

---
Scott Gomez