Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:35:14 -0800

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 08:44 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:
Also...A bit of a reality check here...Historically, when the OM-1 first
came out allot of pros were excited...BUT...one of the wire services, I
believe it was UPI, adopted the system, and it simply could not hold up
to the kind of beating and abuse those folks give their gear - while the
Nikon f and f2 - at that time - could. The damn cameras fell apart. I've
heard something very similar today from one of the world's outstanding
documentary photographers, who uses an OM3 and 20 f2 - and Canon F-1
with longer lenses. He LOVES the 20 f2, but complains that he beats the
bodies to death.

Galen Rowell said something similar one time about Olympus when he was asked about cameras. I have seen a couple of pro outfit trade-ins and cannot imagine how they did that to their stuff. It was trashed. I don't think it is true with digital or modern lenses from what I have read on some forums with customers being charged exorbitant repair fees on lenses and cameras damaged by "customer abuse" without a mark on the outside. Outside is strong, but the inside easily scrambled. Nikon and Canon included.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA