Re: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:17:10 -0500
Vis a small view in the viewfinder:  I think it would change the way I "see",
obviously.  When I took a plastic "Diana 6x6" around campus, I took off my
glasses to previsualize the damaged result expected from the Diana.  I ended up
taking some wierd looking, tilted frames but they were the most tightly-framed
images I ever made.  One might expect that the croppings would be tighter when
I used an SLR but having that blurry view made me relate to the only thing I
could still see: the entire composition- all at once.

At the crit, the teacher liked the Diana frames the most, although I thought
the HIE frame of the nuclear cooling tower was "smarter" and less "obvious".
Another student said, "When I started walking across the room towards your mat
boards, the images sorta made sense way before I got close.  When I got up
close, the actual image looked different, as if it became something else when I
recognized the details."

I've grown accustomed to the view through the OM-PC and OM-4 but I gotta admit,
framing through the XA last spring took me in a different, more artful
direction.  I feel like a photo-journalist behind an SLR and more like a
pictorialist or a street shooter with something less accurate and detailed.

It's hard to explain.

Lama