Re: [OM] ( OM ) The saga of the "broken" eBay Stylus Epic - continued

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) The saga of the "broken" eBay Stylus Epic - continued
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:55:23 -0800
on 11/7/03 12:23 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can tell me what traps there are for the unwary, if the 4
> screws holding body front to body middle are removed? What spring-loaded
> things will pop out; what fiddly bits move to create huge re-assembly
> problems, etc.
>
> I am trying to decide whether I should disassemble the body and glue the
> broken bits with Araldite, or just squeeze the body parts together (no pun
> intended ;-)   ) and hold together with a dark self-adhesive tape on the
> outside?
>
> Brian

Taking things apart is pretty easy... the reassembly can get tricky
sometimes. If I recall, you don't have too much $ invested in this so it
might be worthwhile to experiment... so far we have learned that they don't
bounce well.

I think the body of the Stylus Epic is molded from ABS, that's what it looks
like to me. This is similar plastic to that used for plastic plumbing pipes
and fittings, which are assembled with "ABS Cement". That's what I would
suggest using to seal up the cracks. This stuff works as a solvent, it
dissolves and melts together the plastic bits. You can also 'glue' some
kinds of ABS with MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone, available at chemical supply or
some hardware stores).

I've not disassembled a Stylus Epic, so I can't offer specific advice with
regard the springy bits that will launch across the room to end up buried in
the carpet... but this does happen, ask me how I know <g>. I'd work over a
light-colored towel, and move carefully. If you can spread the cracked bits
slightly with a pin and then drop or squirt in some ABS Cement, let the
cracks spring back in place and press lightly, this might rebuild the
shattered piece, while sealing the light leaks as well...? To rebuild the
threaded hole, try stuffing a glue-smeared sliver of ABS in it and
reinserting the screw while it is partially softened...

Its pretty much an experiement at this point... good luck.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...