Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:58:16 -0800
Joe Gwinn wrote:

At 12:56 PM +0000 11/7/03, olympus-digest wrote:
On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 02:37  AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:

I thought the retrofocus was also necessary so that the light was
hitting the sensor (almost) square on.  If you put the rear element too
close to the sensor the angle won't be right.
That is what Olympus said. Hmmmm. Actually Leica has said the same thing. They said that their rangefinder lenses will not work well on an M camera modified for a digital back. Some one told me that the physical location of the rear lens element was unimportant because it can be designed so that parallel rays emerge from a virtual point farther away.

Yes, they can do that.  This is just another way to describe a telecentric lens.

Logically, it would also be possible for the rear element to have a diameter the same as the diagonal of the sensor and be right on top of it. Not that such extremes are necessary, just pointing out a logical problem with the formulation "If you put the rear element too close to the sensor the angle won't be right."

Moose