[OM] OT - Camouflage Paint ?

Subject: [OM] OT - Camouflage Paint ?
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:40:09 -0500
At 5:06 PM +0000 11/10/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:12:54 EST
>From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] OT - Camouflage Paint ?
>
>I have some PVC pipe I want to paint and wonder if anyone has any suggestions
>on brand, type and color of paint for camouflage?
>
>To cut down on the number of way off topic replies to my OT question, I guess
>I should tell you what I'm doing.  I occasionally do some photographs of
>birds, some of which are shore birds and taking ones tripods into the salt
>water
>will ruin it in short order.  I've made some tubes out of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe
>and end caps to slide over the tripod legs and keep them dry.  It is a pretty
>close fit that is secured at the top with duct tape (in this case, perhaps
>duck
>tape).  They need to be some color other than white.  I had thought either
>sand or camouflage.  Any ideas?  Bill Barber

I would stay away from latex or any water-based paint for this.

Oil paint sticks to PVC pipe pretty well, especially if you wet-sand the
surface first, until the gloss is all gone.  So do most enamel paints.  If the
paint manufacturer suggests a primer, do it.

As for colors, use the same colors you see in those surrounds, and do it in
random splotches.  Sort of like sand, stones, and seashells.

Other posters mentioned that the tubes will try to float, and you replied that
you could fill the tubes with fishing weights.  I don't know what such weights
cost, but plumbing supply houses sell bulk lead, and building supply houses
also sell lead flashing, and these sources are likely to be cheaper than
anything sold at retail for fishing.

Joe Gwinn