Re: [OM] [OT]Olympus of America are just reps for Olympus of Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]Olympus of America are just reps for Olympus of Japan
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:53:20 -0500
On Tuesday November 11 2003 8:50 am, John Hermanson wrote:
> New parts are used to build cameras for sale.  When a certain number of
> cameras have been shipped, then the parts are available.

  Snip

This is a problem I've seen with many new anything, both domestic and foreign.

One guy I worked with  in the early '90's delivered pizza with his 2 or 3 year
old diesel Jetta. He broke a timing belt with collateral of bending all the
valves. He had to weight a month for the parts to come from Germany. The
dealer told him they didn't start stocking parts that didn't generally needed
replacement for several years after the cars were sold.

Back in the late 80's the owner of the company I worked for had a Ford diesel
dually pickup we used to haul all kinds of trailers with. At  30k miles the
transmission went out . It took 3 weeks for them (Ford) to make a one for it.
There was not one in stock in the entire US.

I've found this to be a problem with any new model. The companies don't stock
parts until  they belive there's a demand as things start to wear out.