Re: [OM] Re: SPAM

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: SPAM
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:06:28 -0700
At 09:15 PM 11/11/2003 -0500, Andrew Gullen wrote:
>Very true. here's another line of defense that seems to work for me (besides
>being careful where my address goes).
>
>As soon as I get spam I immediately complain to "postmaster" at the
>offending domain. If it looks "captive" I check the headers for the next
>host and complain to them too. All complaints with full headers of course.
>Sometimes postmaster just gets me a redirection notice to their abuse
>address - I complain to that too. Generally I get a reply indicationg some
>kind of human involvement and a promise to investigate.

Sadly, such a line of attack is closed to me -- I average around 400+ spam
mails a day.  Since installing MW Pro 3.3 (about six or seven days ago),
Mailwasher reports that I've had 3,210 e-mails, of which only 52 were from
friends and known e-mails, with another 679 from this List.  If I include all
of those as legit e-mails, my spam percentage hovers around 720f all mail.

If it weren't for MW Pro, e-mail would be totally unusable for me.

On a related note, several of the online e-zines for computer types (PC Mag
etc.) ran recent articles on how using the spammers own exclusion addresses
generally seemed to work, contrary to "urban legend."  I've found exactly the
opposite -- for two weeks in September, I assiduously tried every de-listing
link sent to me in every single spam e-mail, spending about 90 minutes a day.
Did it decrease my spam?  No.  But it *did* start a new wave of spam which uses
my own e-mail address as the return address, which means that MW Pro cannot
filter it out (MW Pro assumes my own address is a "friend").

De-listing services are a complete sham.  I have no idea how mags like PC Mag
came to the erroneous conclusions they did.

Garth