Re: [OM] traveling to HYD (time zone GMT+5.30 :) )

Subject: Re: [OM] traveling to HYD (time zone GMT+5.30 :) )
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:41:24 -0800
Hope you have a good trip.

If I were packing, I wouldn't take both the 50/1.4 and 1.8, way too similar. I would also skip the 50/3.5 and 2xA and take a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter to both double the 200mm and make the 50/1.4 into a 100/2.8 macro focusing to 1:1. Those changes would cut my lens count by 2 while providing all the same coverage (actually closer macro unless you are taking an extension tube for the 50/3.5)

Actually, I would take quite a different kit, but it doesn't take into account the lenses you have or your preferences. I think I'd take a 19-35/3.5-4.5, 50/1.4 and macro teleconverter and 50-250mm zoom. In close packed cities, something wider than 28mm is useful. If I knew I had somewhere safe to leave part of the kit, I'd also take a 35-70/3.5-4.5 for casual walking around without a whole bag of stuff. I think a monopod is a good idea, but a purpose built monopod or, even better to me, a lightweight telescoping walking stick with tripod thread on top and a Bogen 3232 head will be lighter and more relaible and flexible than a dowel added to a center column. I would take my Velbon 343, small, light and actually usable, but I may be more of a tripod user than you.

Moose

Siddiq wrote:

ok, i'll be heading to a place i was born in, but not lived, this dec-jan for about 3 wks. last time i went was 17 yrs ago :) anyway, the OM complement shall include two OM1n bodies (i've decided against swapping one OM1n for a an Oly RF, and i can't outlay the dough to get another camera), the 28/3.5, 50/3.5macro, 50/1.8MC & 50/1.4mc, 200/4 zuikos and oly 2xa TC, T32 w/ lumiquest softbox, bogen 3221/3030, and roughly 45 rolls of fujicolor NPH. when i was in london this summer, i figured on a burn rate of a roll a day.. i ended up going 2 rolls a day if i budgeted film! so for HYD (airport code <g>), i'll be planning on 2 rolls a day for 20 days. hmm maybe i should get more film (ouch that's gonna cost!) from B&H. all of it will brought back for develop+scan (which, incidentally, costs more than the film itself!). anyone here from HYD?

comments? suggestions? advice? will the 28 suffice? any need for the 200 + tc or leave it? ditto for the macro. the less gear i have, the less worries about the weather there mucking it up, or getting lost and such. hints? tips? tricks?

hpoefully i'll find some sort of wifi access, and try to put up something like a daily commentary with digicam snaps (mainly for orhter family members here).

i'm wondering if i should try to convert the centre column of the tripod into a monopod (get a long round piece of wood from hardware store), and skip the bogen legset all together, since i didnt use it in london at all (too much pedestrian traffic--its worse in HYD).