Re: [OM] traveling to HYD (time zone GMT+5.30 :) )

Subject: Re: [OM] traveling to HYD (time zone GMT+5.30 :) )
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:09:35 -0800
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:41:24 -0800, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hope you have a good trip.

If I were packing, I wouldn't take both the 50/1.4 and 1.8, way too similar. I would also skip the 50/3.5 and 2xA and take a Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter to both double the 200mm and make the 50/1.4 into a 100/2.8 macro focusing to 1:1. Those changes would cut my lens count by 2 while providing all the same coverage (actually closer macro unless you are taking an extension tube for the 50/3.5)

ok, so i'll chose the 1.8MC, which is the nicer performer i think, but 1.4 might make it easier focussing indoors ambient light candid shot-wise. since it will be winter, i dont think much macro material will be available. or maybe i could skip the 1.8MC and take the 3.5macro, which will make focussing harder tho. dont have the vivs, dont wanna buy either, spending enough as it is on sister's wedding and then going abroad <g>

Actually, I would take quite a different kit, but it doesn't take into account the lenses you have or your preferences. I think I'd take a 19-35/3.5-4.5, 50/1.4 and macro teleconverter and 50-250mm zoom. In close packed cities, something wider than 28mm is useful.

problem is 28 is as wide i have (anyone gots a user grade but clean glass 24? or something??)

 If I knew I
had somewhere safe to leave part of the kit, I'd also take a 35-70/3.5-4.5 for casual walking around without a whole bag of stuff.

yea i'll be at grandparents' house, so goodies should be safe. not that my gear is worth much (in US$ anyway).)

think a monopod is a good idea, but a purpose built monopod or, even better to me, a lightweight telescoping walking stick with tripod thread on top and a Bogen 3232 head will be lighter and more relaible and flexible than a dowel added to a center column. I would take my Velbon 343, small, light and actually usable, but I may be more of a tripod user than you.

one of the problems is, i have no idea what the layout and such of the city is. i'm interested in photos of architecture for the most part, and of course, street shooting if i can get away with it :) on one hand, not sure if i could set up a tripod anywhere, but then not having it abd needing it is just as bad as walking all day with it and not using it (at which point, in london anyway, i left the whole thing at home and walked around strictly OM1n, 28, and lots of film).

since i've got a month to go, i'll look up on websites and photo galleries, get an idea of space, and see if i can ditch the tripod altogehter. the one thing holding me against that is the fact that dec-jan is usually carnival time, and lots of night shooting ops--prime tripod time. maybe pack the lightweight samsonite aluminium one for that and skip the bogen (which would take up lots of space in a suitcase.).

also, going wider than 28 makes a real tripod almost mandatory :(

thanks for taking the time to post.

--
/S
aim:iddibhai