Re: [OM] old NG photos... film "look"

Subject: Re: [OM] old NG photos... film "look"
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:01:25 -0800 (PST)
What do you mean by the processing being a whacko operation?  I have
used the Kodak mailers for Kodachrome processing for over 25 years
and have never had a problem.  You can buy them cheap from Adorama,
etc.
The only complaint I would have is they sometimes have some dust on
them, but it is easily blown off with a can of air.  Probably due to
the cardboard mounts they still use.  BTW, the old Kodachromes still
look good as new.
The Velvia type of color is not appropriate for all subjects, but too
many are using it for everything.  The new Velvia 100F sems to be
toned down a notch in saturation, which is more to my liking for most
subjects, and the contrast is easier to control.  But I will still be
using Kodachrome as well.

--- Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:27:03 -0800 (PST), Donald Shedrick
> <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Before the introduction of Velvia in the early 90's, Kodachrome
> 25
> > and 64 was by far the dominant film of pros for things like NG.
> It
> > was the best available, and still is an excellent film for
> natural
> > (not enhanced) color.
>
> indeed. that's what struck me, the current NGs have IN YOUR FACE
> color for
> a lot of the photos, the old ones were subtle. if kchrome
> processing wasnt
> such a whacko operation by kodak, i'd shoot it. as it stands, i go
> fuji
> NPH exclusively.

=====
Don Shedrick