Re: [OM] E-1 bokeh?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 bokeh?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:35:25 -0800
The rule of thumb for which I've never understood any proof of, comes from
comparing 35mm to med fmt to large fmt. The DOF of a normal lens decreases
as the format increases. So a 50mm digital zuiko should have more DOF than a
100mm OM zuiko for the same size prints. The handwaving I've seen says the
difference is relatively small, which I take to mean that a 50mm digital
Zuiko telephoto will have less DOF than a 50mm OM normal lens. I've never
seen any numbers just a claim that the format effect is small.

Probably an hour of playing with several of the DOF calculators adjusting
the circle of confusion to account for the different magnification to get
the same final print could give a better feel.I don't know how accurate the
various DOF calculators are. The links I have are;

http://www.dudak.baka.com/fovcalc.html
http://www.fineart-photography.com/dof.html
http://www.fineart-photography.com/dof.html
http://www.dof.pcraft.com/dof.html