Re: [OM] new to darkroom

Subject: Re: [OM] new to darkroom
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:12:15 -0800 (PST)
>I think that you can buy most of those things secondhand now
>for a reasonable price Lama.  I have seen many adverts by
>people who are apparently going into the "digital darkroom".

Suprisingly, I've seen just the opposite.  For some strange
reason, darkroom gear isn't dropping in price.  There have
ALWAYS been bargains throughout history, but the good stuff is
still scarfed up pretty quickly.

A couple of factors:
- B&W is now chic, since it is two-generations removed from
current technology.
- People like me are constantly looking to upgrade existing gear
with something better.

As far as timers are concerned, you have several really cheep
options.  For film-development, I use a program called "Foto
Timer" on my Palm-Pilot.  It's terrific.  You can also use it
for exposing the paper and processing it too.  However, for my
paper development process, I use a tape-recorder.  I had
recorded on this tape (in daylight) time intervals all the way
up to eight minutes.  I press "play" and put the paper in the
developer.  When I here myself counting one-minute (or whatever)
I proceed to the next step.

For enlarger timers, it pays to have a decent one.  If you can
splurge and spend the big-bucks, I'd highly recommend getting an
RH-Designs timer.  If you get the one with the built-in
analyzer, it does a fantastic job of teaching you the Zone
System.  It, with the Ansel Adams books #2 and #3 are made for
each other.

AG