[OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions

Subject: [OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions
From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:20:45 +0000
This week, I took a look at an E1 in a dealer's shop. They had the E1, 14-48mm and 50-200mm on display. I have a few comments and questions -

Build quality

The body felt very well made. The 14-54mm lens was less impressive. The zoom and focus movements don't have the quality feel of OM lenses.

Viewfinder

Whoever wrote that it's like looking down a tunnel got it exactly right. It's clear and bright, but I constantly felt that I needed to move closer. The eyepiece looked quite small. This may be a cause or effect of the small image.

LCD

Information (e.g. selected aperture) is presented in small characters, not well lit and not that easy to read.

Mirror and focusing screen

They are tiny.  See later comments on camera size.

Shutter

It's quiet and smooth, even compared with an OM2, but it should be with such a small mirror to move.

Auto focus

It's fast and accurate on the easy, stationary targets I tried.

Depth of field

I didn't notice a depth of field preview button. Does anyone know if it has one ?

Lens mount

It's big about the size of the OM mount. Why is this ? With such a small sensor, I had expected it to be much smaller. I can see that tele-centric lenses might demand a bigger mount than otherwise, but I'm sure this would only make a small difference. As someone has already pointed out, a 300mm lens must be pretty tele-centric anyway.

All the electronic contacts are well inside the mount, not embedded into it as in some designs. This seems a waste of the real estate inside the mount.

Perhaps the big mount is to make it easier to use adaptors to existing mounts, like the OM. (Irony warning).

Bulk and weight

This camera is bulky and heavy. It feels as heavy as an OM with a winder. When I pointed this out to the dealer, he said, "Well it does include a motor drive". At the time, I accepted that. My mind obviously wasn't in digital mode.

I can't understand the bulk. What is there to make it up ? An OM needs space for a 35mm cartridge. It needs about the same space again for the film when it is out of the cartridge. A compact flash card doesn't take up anything like as much space.

An OM needs space for a large mirror to move. That in the E1 needs far less room.

The depth of an OM is determined by the distance from lens mount to film plane. The sensor in the E1 is probably as near to the front of the camera as the back. Most PDAs pack more processing power in a much smaller package. What else have they got in there ?

Strap fixings.

I assume the little plastic bits in the strap fixings are to prevent scratches. The fixings are not well placed. Even with the standard lens, the camera tilts forward a lot.

Future lenses

According to the brochure, the FL 50 flash "firing angle" is

        Automatic switching
        At 12mm.  Up-down  61 degree Left-right 78 degree
        At 42mm.  Up-down  21 degree Left-right 28 degree
        When the wide panel is used for 8mm

Does this mean that the flash accommodates a future 8mm lens, or have I misinterpreted this ?

Battery life

Anyone know what this is ? The dealer who showed me the camera was recharging the battery between demonstrations.

Flash

I was told that the E1 is not compatible with T series flash equipment as "it needs a double strobe flash". This is a new one on me. I was told that the flash has to fire twice and the two images captured are combined. Does this make sense ?

The dealer pointed out that it is compatible with studio flash, which seems a contradiction.

Pricing

Euro retails pricing for cameras supplied through Olympus UK is as follows

        Before VAT (sales tax)  typically 15-25 0n the EU.

        Body only                       1,723 Euros     $2,015
        Body plus 14-54mm               2,197 Euros     $2,570

        With Irish VAT (21%)

        Body only                       2,084 Euros     $2438
        Body plus 14-54mm               2,658 Euros     $3004

US dollar conversions are at yesterday's rate of 1 Euro = 1.17 USD.

I was told that Olympus will not allow dealers to discount. I suspect that they may need to look into EU law, as well as that in individual countries, before they try and enforce that.

Sales channels

I was told that Olympus will not allow the camera to be sold over the Internet.

Languages

The camera menus can be in several languages including Hangul. What is Hangul ?

Manual

Is an E1 manual available anywhere in PDF format yet ?

Anything else

Try as I might, I could not get the back open.

Michael Bloor