Re: [OM] Scanning / compressing a file for Tope 16

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning / compressing a file for Tope 16
From: "IanG" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:56:16 -0000
I'm not at all sure I'm explaining myself well here.

Taking worst case scenario I'm scanning a 35mb neg to a 4000dpi  tif file of
approx 110mb. Converting down to 8 bit halves the file size, changing either
pixel counts or DPI further decreases the file size and finally outputting
as a jpg can get to a final file for web use of around 100K. That is a very
large amount of compression and data is lost on the way.

Ignoring the way in which I compress (I've tried several processes) what has
become very clear is that the smaller the file I start with, the less
compression is applied, and the better results I get for the web - I
frequently find that heavily cropped scans are better for web output than
full frame and images from my C-3030 can often be very good indeed.
Obviously these smaller files do not print anywhere near as well as full
frame scans.

What I am wondering is will I get better web output files by scanning at
lower resolution and reducing compression. Has anybody tried this? Does it
work? And if so is there a way of approximating optimum scan resolution for
target display size?

While I'm going on about this.... Does anybody have a  favourite film for
scanning, if so which?. I prefer colour neg and I think I've just fallen in
love with Kodak Portra 400 UC (but it is a horrid grey November in England)

Ian