Re: [OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:00:57 -0800

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 02:20 PM, Mike Bloor wrote:

I can't understand the bulk. What is there to make it up ? An OM needs space for a 35mm cartridge. It needs about the same space again for the film when it is out of the cartridge. A compact flash card doesn't take up anything like as much space.

I don't understand it either. It is lighter but about the same size as a D100. To be fair, most older digital designs are substantially larger than the 35mm cameras they are adapted from. I assumed it was the electronics and the larger battery until the Pentax *istD which is a 35mm camera modification and is much smaller than the E-1. Even the Canon 300D is comparatively small.

I think that some of the puzzling things about the E-1(5MP, really?) are a result of Olympus taking so much time to bring it to market. The original design could not incorporate size reductions used in more recent designs. It was announced and begun three years ago. The camera makers that announce ahead of time get a model to market 6 months to a year after the announcement. Everyone would have been saying "Wow!" over the E-1 a year and a half to 2 years ago. And Olympus would not have needed to cut the price twice before the first model was delivered. I just hope they get up to speed with the rest of the market quickly. I have a feeling that about the same time that Olympus is issuing their promised stripped, lower priced version many of the E-1 competitors will have moved on to 8MP chips.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA