Re: [OM] E1 sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 sensor
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:39:17 -0800

On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 09:28 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

This whole mgp thing is really becoming such a typical 'mine is bigger
than yours' competition - or the modern photography version of the old
automotive horsepower arguments.;-)

That is true, but Olympus does not understand marketing or how important the horsepower race is to sell cameras. We watched year after year as other cameras got covered in every photo magazine while the OM4 just sat there. Olympus did not understand that little changes that justify a new model designation every couple of years generates the free press coverage and reviews that sells cameras. If they had worked to improve the camera, brought out image stabilizing lenses, tilt-shift PC lenses, fixed the FP flash so it really worked, brought out an autofocus model that would take our manual focus lenses, we would all be goofily happy with our OM 6, 7, or 8s without an obsoleted line of lenses. There would be a lot more of us. And Olympus would not be saying they will not sell an adaptor for our older lenses because they are gambling that they will make more money getting new customers who will start from scratch than selling cameras to their former customers with OM lenses. What they don't understand is that everyone who buys an adaptor for a Canon camera will have fun for a while with their Olympus lenses, but within a year will get their first Canon lens just to try out all the capabilities of their camera. "Just a fast easy to use travel lens." And then the experience will be so much better that they will be in the other camp.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA