Re: [OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E1 - Some impressions and questions
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:09:14 +1100
It's all a matter of perception for users and clients - professional = big & black with a monster lens and a big optional booster pack in the style of an F5 and EOS1. Of course they could make it much, much smaller but pros don't buy tiny. For one thing, their customers wouldn't think that they were serious. And the early release of the fast 300mm lens indicates that it's aimed at the pro market where it will be seen as small and cheap. It's significant that some of the reviews mention that it 'comes easily to hand' and size does make it easier to handle, esp. for portraits. It's not designed for tourists. It's designed for us sad bastards who want to look as if we mean business - that's why we drive 4WD's, not Hyundais. I have a Leica Digilux 1 - it could have been MUCH smaller (and the Panasonic version is a bit smaller) especially considering it uses an SD card. But Leica wanted it to look boxy and worthy of the big red spot. And as to megapixels - 970f users will never ever need more than 4mp but that won't stop them buying 8, 10 or 12 if they possibly can even though they will still shoot low res for speed and capacity because bigger and faster is better, right? That will cripple the E1, I fear because the pros who know that 5mp is adequate aren't numerous enough to drive sales.
Anyone for an internet fridge, hey?
AndrewF