Re: [OM] E1 sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 sensor
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:39:55 -0500
I think Moose has a good point, as technique limits a lot. Assuming
good technique, then there is no threshold to reach, but my guess is
people who need the resolution always go for bigger cameras. And since
there are fewer users of big cameras, most photography can be done at
12mp and below, or even 6mp. What most people want, or at least I want,
is good quality pixels, meaning low noise, good dynamic range, and good
low light performance, which become increasingly more important than
megapixels.

Also, todays 'megapixels' are the total of the R, G, plus B sensors. If
a Foveon style sensor can be made with 5mp per R+G+B (and of course
advertised as a 15mp) with low noise and good dynamic range, I would be
a happy camper. More so than more megapixels but no improvement in
quality.

Once you get above a certain mp count, you get decreasing returns for
increased file size. Maybe it is only my perception, but camera
megapixel count seemed to be going up steadily until recently. Now many
new cameras are now being introduced that seem to stay at the same
5-6mp range. I suspect that a large amount of the photography market is
captured at that threshold.

Wayne