[OM] Patience - A Tale of buying from Olympus America

Subject: [OM] Patience - A Tale of buying from Olympus America
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:58:52 -0800
I've been pondering the best way to get more close focus with my 35-105/3.5-4.5. One simple solution is extension tubes, but I am also curious about a close-up lens, only one thing to juggle, and without dismounting the lens, etc. I have some regular c-u lenses in 2 or 3 sizes, but not 55mm. I also know that any but the weakest of these simple lenses will introduce chromatic abberation. The OM c-u lenses are +2.5, but only single element. However, Oly made 2 element achromatic c-u lenses for the IS series. The B-Macro in 49 & 55 mm sizes is also a +2.5 diopter lens. I already have on in 49mm, but don't really use it, preferring a 2x macrotelextender on a fast 50mm lens for the increased reach (No juggling, since it goes from infinity to 1:1 while mounted.). On the slower zoom I already have reach, but can't afford the loss in speed, so I went looking for a 55mm B-Macro lens.

I found that OA had been selling them and the last couple had gone for less than $45. So I tried for one. The next 3 went for $75, 62 and 57, all above my maximum bids. As long as there was another one on the horizon, I didn't go crazy, but stuck with reasonable bids. Today I won one for $24.50, about half the max I had worked up to, go figure. Needless to say, I'm pleased. So I offer this tale for those who want one of those things OA seems to have an endless supply of. Eventually they are going to run out of this stuff, but if it's not something you need really seriously, patience may pay off.

Interesting thing is that Henry's keeps listing and relisting a B-Macro for $104.50. Do they ever look at the competition?

Next question is which is the better performer, achromatic c-u lens or extension tube. And then, how does it work with 135/2.8 and 200/4? More silly fun playing with my OM gear! (I highly value silly, by the way.)

Moose