Re: [OM] Patience - A Tale of buying from Olympus America

Subject: Re: [OM] Patience - A Tale of buying from Olympus America
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:31:53 -0500
At 10:58 PM 11/17/2003, you wrote:
>I've been pondering the best way to get more close focus with my
>35-105/3.5-4.5. One simple solution is extension tubes,

I'm sure you are aware that using an extension tube on a zoom means
that focus changes as you zoom, like the Vivitar variofocus lens. Since
the 35-105 is a one touch zoom (or any zoom really) that can have zoom
creep, your focus can change. Add to that, many macro shots are
fairly long exposures (for good dof), so keeping it all fixed, no zoom creep,
becomes a challenge with the extension tube. I forget though, doesn't
the 35-105 have a way to lock into close focus? If so, extension may work
just fine, except for light loss compared to a diopter. A diopter macro
attachment is definitely easier to use with most zooms.

Wayne