[OM] Hairy OM4 & Colchester Cameras

Subject: [OM] Hairy OM4 & Colchester Cameras
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:56:32 -0500
Jason asked:
I have a bit of a problem with my OM4 and need a bit of advice.  On a
couple of shots per roll of film I put through the camera, what looks like a hair appears in the top of the frame. I've had the back open, lens off and fired the shutter on bulb to see if anything is there but I couldn't see anything. <snip>
Perhaps this is the "flying shutter strings" problem. It can happen with an OM-2s and perhaps with an OM-4 too. I think the explanation is that a shutter string has come off one of its pulleys and is flying about casting a shadow on the film.

Expensive repair as I recall since it requires removal of the front casting.

Perhaps John or Clint will chime in with the correct diagnosis.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA