Re: [OM] Two questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Two questions
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:26:57 +1100
Marsupials are not susceptible, or we'd be in real trouble.
AndrewF

I have heard the only mammal not capable of being a carrier of rabies is the opossom. I don't know why. Here in North Carolina they will not use baited treatments because the populations of animals travel too much. It is supposed to have too little effect. We have had rabid cats, dogs, foxes, skunks and raccoons. Many do not vaccinate their cats or dogs even with the free clinics each month. When the pet gets in a fight with a rabid animal they have to kill the pet. Not terribly smart!

gregg