Re: [OM] fake paypal message!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] fake paypal message!!!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:28:30 -0500
I've gotten a couple of these in the past several weeks. Additional observations about them:

a. The hyperlink itself (most browsers show the actual URL on the bottom bar of the window) is set up to have the appearance of a legitimate link to PayPal with the actual numeric IP address obscured in hexidecimal. Seeing an internet address or portions of a URL in hex sets off alarm bells for me. Only one reason to do it . . . to obscure something and make it very difficult for The Masses to understand or translate.

b. The entire message with embedded GIF is designed to make it very difficult to forward the original message in its entirety to PayPal. There's hidden plain text past the GIF that looks like contents from some innocuous, frivolous email totally unrelated to PayPal. On top of that, the hex string with IP for the fraud site and the rest of the email (including hidden text) exceeded the number of text characters their report form allowed.

c. PayPal asked me to forward it to an email address. Their email server filtered out the GIF and html when I sent it there! Took a couple email exchanges with them to get them to see what I had received.

Whoever created it (latest one came from somewhere in Korea) intimately knows the Achilles Heels in PayPal's fraud reporting system, both on-line form and their email server, and is leveraging on them to prevent the reports from containing the damning evidence or revealing the source.

-- John