[OM] Nikon Lens Conversion story

Subject: [OM] Nikon Lens Conversion story
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:06:53 -0500
Hi there all,

I thought I would bring to the group a story of a conversion that I have
been working on for the last couple of months. It may be described a heresy
but I figured that I was helping balance out the 24mm shifts that have gone
to Nikon mount. Anyway on with the tale.

A while back I won on the bay a Nikon PC 35mm f3.5 lens. Its the first
version of this lens, in fact the first shift for 35mm   SLR's. I picked it
up for a fair $180, its not pretty but it works. Following a fair bit of
investigation I determined that it would be possible to adapt it to OM
mount. The construction of the lens is ideal as there is no auto diaphragm
mechanism to connect. It is assembled as a bayonet piece/spacer ring/rest of
lens. All I had to do was find a suitable donor OM mount and then get the
spacer ring made/cut down to suit the different lens to film plane lengths.
As the Nikon needed to be 0.5mm further away this worked in my favour giving
us a bit of extra material. The donor mount came in the form of reversing
ring, it a pretty good amount of metal in it and had the required metering
bias tab (if that is the right word). Some of you may recall my asking about
stop down and metering in general a while back, it was this lens that caused
me to ask. With some patience and a whole lot of skill my machinist was able
to modify the donor mount perfectly. My initial infinity focus tests have
been successful and the shift is working great.

So here I am looking for a subject to 'correct' with my newest member of the
family. It may be a little bit of a black sheep in bag but I am only out a
little over $220 on the deal. I do expect that I will eventually get the
Zuiko but right now I am happy to play with this one and learn how to use
it. The best bit is that I can restore the Nikon mount and send it back into
the pool if and when I do buy the Zuiko.

So I take one back for the Olympus crowd! ;)

Dan S