Re: [OM] OT Wildlife in Houses

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Wildlife in Houses
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:39:14 -0800
At 09:00 AM 11/21/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>A possum (rat tailed NA variety) got lost in my garage once......

Interesting that you have possums Moose. My understanding is that they
were introduced by hillbillies who brought a taste for possum with them
to Skagit County, Washington state in about 1925 and they have spread
both north and south from there. I knew they had crossed the Fraser
River in BC and the Columbia to Willamette Valley, OR.  I wonder if they
have spread that far south or whether they were introduced by local CA
hicks?

I have been told that it was men from the south in the CCCs that brought them in and bred them in captivity for the meat. When they left, they just turned the critters loose. We have lots of them here in Portland,OR.
Paul in Portland OR