[OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:50:04 +1100
You guys don't eat bunnies? You think it odd and squirrel not?! Strewth. Depression tucker here - underground chicken. Had a nice bunny meal in an Italian restaurant here (Melbourne) a few weeks back - stewed in a cacciatore style sauce and on a cake of polenta. Very good indeed. Hare is good too but harder to do well. Place near me does a nice line in pies - crocodile, camel, emu, rabbit stew, kangaroo, etc. I eat 'roo occasionally curried (kangaroo vindaloo). Can't get horse, though, unfortunately. I understand that some indigenous people here regard dog and cat as good bush tucker - given that there are millions of them feral out there it's not a bad idea.
You're an omnivore, man! Get on with it.
AndrewF
(Oh, and before someone gets upset, feral cats are huge, nasty, disease ridden and an environmental disaster, OK?)

I grew up in a hunting family.  My grandpappy taught me to shoot
with an old single-shot Winchester .22 when I was five.  I got
really good, and still am.  My grandmother, who was the world's
greatest cook, would fry, boil, broil, roast, or whatever,
anything I killed and brought home: venison, wild hogs, ducks,
geese, quail, doves, squirrels, and so on.  But she drew the line
at 'possums and 'coons, said not to bring her one of them or she'd
whup me good.  They, like groundhogs, dogs and cats were the meat
of last choice for the really desperate during the Great
Depression, and I never actually knew anybody who ever ate any of
those.  Although I understand there are some third-world countries
that actually eat dog and cat, and I have heard that maybe there
are even some places where people even today still eat bunny
rabbits.

I think I saw that on that cooking show with the Two Fat Ladies.

Walt