Re: [OM] Vision problem?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vision problem?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:24:04 -0500
In a word, "yes".  In a sentence, at about 43-45 years of age, your eyes go
through a kind of 2nd puberty but there's nothing new
and exciting to look forward to with this change.

Conventional wisdom is that the focusing screen is "perceived" as being at
infinity.  The Shipman book says it's more like a meter.
I think he says that for middle aged people (I'm 47) it's too close for
"distance vision" and too far away for "close vision",
implying that gradually progressive glasses are the way to go.

I've found that I see *critically* at 3' only when looking through a single
*very* small patch of my right lens.  Unfortunately, the
eye relief on my OM-PC was such that I had to mash my nose against the back and
twist sideways to see the screen.  With that
posture, my eye was not lining up at all with the very small patch on my right
lens.  In other words, after obsessive study, I
understand I can't focus my PC with the new prescription.

Although it doesn't agree with Shipman's perspective, I found I COULD still
focus critically with my old prescription glasses.  So
now I use the old glasses for shooting (but not driving or reading).  This is
probably much more detail than you want but I figured
this all out for myself and I'm pretty darned disappointed that I didn't get
any advance warning on this topic.

When I went in for my annual checkup, why didn't the doctor tell me about
near-vision falling apart at age 44, like clockwork?  When
I saw the eye doctor for an exam why didn't he have better answers for my
detailed and repeated questions about using a camera?
When I ordered the new prescription, why didn't the professional have better
answers for my detailed and repeated questions either?
He tried to steer me towards a sharp distinction between near and far.

So Lars, you're not alone but it is not easy or pretty.  I know you've been
wearing contacts, but you could have a rectangular lens
cut and use it in Eyecup1 or Eyecup2.  Or you could do what I did:  Sell your
OM bodies and buy a used Canon EOS 55.

Lama