Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography

Subject: Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:39:26 -0800

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:04:24 -0500
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What you say is absolutely correct, of course.  A previous comment about=
 35mm vs. 4x5 was well taken, too.  I shoot film in both formats and am=
 starting to shoot digital.  HOWEVER... the technology one uses DOES (or at=
 least can) influence ones methods.  Learning on the spot is a wonderful=
 tool for some people; obviously it is for you.  And over on DP Review=
 there are some good photographers doing great things with their digital=
 cameras.  But it is still true that the nature of digital cameras opens up=
the machine gun/shotgun approach to lots of "photographers". I suspect many are more >techno-geeks than photographers.
Earl,
Agreed, however I will add that there are now likely no more techno-geeks than there were Minolta -geeks or Nikon-geeks, or heaven forbid, Leica-geeks. I took a photo workshop at Yosemite almost 21 years ago. It snowed for the first time that year the night we arrived. Some geek with a then-state of the art Minolta spent most of his time trying to figure out how to use his camera. Meanwhile, I was capturing snowy images with my simple OM-1. My point is that there have always been, and always will be....geeks!

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!