Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:35:52 -0800

>Nice pics. My Audobon Mammals guide says those are European rabbits
>intentionally introduced to San Juan Is. to provide a game rabbit bigger
>than the cottontail. It also says the 'possum ranges all along the west
>coast of NA from S. BC to the top of Baja.........

Moose, Your info is correct. There is much speculation as to the reason
for the cyclical ballooning population and then crash. One theory holds
that the grass is defending itself by incorporating natural birth
control substances. In reality no one knows, probably much more complex.
My possum introduction info came from the guidebook series published by
the BC Provincial Museum. There is still a large Tarheel population in
the upper Skagit Valley so this vector is indeed likely, at least for
this area.

mike