[OM] Re: Olympus E-1 review

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus E-1 review
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:54:24 -0800
For those of you interested, there is an objective review of the Oly E-1 on The Luminous Landscape. You can read it here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-e1.shtml I didn't realize that a histogram view wasn't available with image review without a rather cumbersome workaround. Hopefully, Oly will fix that in future versions. Also, the RAW processing software seems mediocre at best, and if you want their *good* conversion software (which according the Luminous is still mediocre) you have to pony up another $150. :-(

I agree with the reviewer that Oly has locked themselves in a box with the four-thirds system and lenses designed around this sensor size. They can't increase pixel density to increase resolution without taking a hit in image noise. While the E-1 is comparable in noise to most other d-SLRs up to ISO 400, it gets smoked by C*n*n's CMOS sensor at anything faster ISO settings (so does everything else , for that matter).

Overall, though, an excellent camera according to the reviewer. The photograph examples, though, don't do a lot for me or show what this camera could really do.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!