Re: [OM] 28-48

Subject: Re: [OM] 28-48
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:05:11 -0800
I think part of your liking for this lens depends on your shooting style and what lenses you want to carry. while I don't use it all the time, it is one of my favorite travel lenses. Some have complained about the overlap with the 35-70 range. When I carry the 28-48 I just leave the 35-70 at home. For a lot of my backpacking and cycle touring I carry the 21 f/3.5, the 28-48, and the 75-150. the three lenses cover a nice range, are light and compact, and all use 49 mm filters!

I do have the hood for the 28/48 and it works fairly well. It is a bit unique in that it is a 55 mm thread when the filters are 49. the nice thing is you don't have to remove the hood to change filters.

Build quality is not on par with the better Zuikos, but it is superior to many after market lenses and the lens is light and compact. Very similar in this respect to the popular 35-70 3.5~4.5 lens. I have never had any real complaints about the optical quality of the lens, but the fixed focal length Zuikos are superior if you are looking with a critical eye.

For me the covenience of the lens outweighs any negatives. I find the focal length range very useful myself. If I want something longer I am usually wanting a real telephoto, something in the 85 to 100 range or more so the typical 35-70 zoom, while a nice choice if one is carying only one lens, is often not enough for me, at either end.

Jim Couch