Re: [OM] Re: Olympus E-1 review

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus E-1 review
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:00:39 -0500
It is interesting that the reviewer claims he has not seen severe limitations
with using 35mm lenses on a full frame digital camera that Olympus claims
can't be done.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-e1.shtml

If 5mp is your working size and all you need, the E-1 may be the 'pro' system
for you. I agree that really good quality 5mp is a great thing, but when you
consider what is possible with full frame 35mm sensor size, it is hard for
me to believe that Canon is not on the right track. Camera size is one issue,
but electronics will continue to evolve, and so will size. Soon there will be
a full frame Rebel that can use existing Canon lenses.

What exactly is the "pro" market anyway? I imagine a number of "pro"
photographers can go for an E-1 and a couple of lenses. But when
you get to $6000 300/2.8, weight becomes less an issue and it might
as well be a 3lb Canon with IS lens that can also be used with film backup.

I'm also disappointed in the loss of the histogram display. :-(

Wayne - with sour grapes and a lot of OM lenses

PS: Olympus may make some money on patent rights to ultrasonic sensor
cleaning, or if they are smart, trade that for some IS technology.

PS2: now if only Canon could get some of that oly style and feel.