Re: [OM] Tokina 28-85 3.5~4.5 AT-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina 28-85 3.5~4.5 AT-X
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:16:40 -0800
Greg McGrath wrote:

I have recently discovered that there are two versions of the Tokina. I have
the earlier one......... I don't know if there's any difference in optical
performance or max repro ratio between them. They take different hoods,  which
can be hard to find. The earlier version takes a slide on hood that has a set
screw, while the later version has a hood that clips into a groove around the
end of the lens, like the 80-200 does.

This hood business is true of the AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 too. The one I have takes a slip-on hood and there is also a clip-on hood for a later version. I found out the hard way and have a spare clip-on version if anybody needs one.

If you can buy the lens with the correct hood, you'll be better off.

True of just about any used lens.

You probably already know that there are two different version of the Oly
35-105, with the newer ones having serial numbers higher than 500,000.
Do you know what the difference is? I do see 2 different tests on Gary's site. The later one looks worse, if anything, but only by a tiny bit that isn't significant by his standards.

Moose