Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:38:30 -0800
Mike wrote:

Nice pics. My Audobon Mammals guide says those are European rabbits intentionally introduced to San Juan Is. to provide a game rabbit bigger than the cottontail. It also says the 'possum ranges all along the west coast of NA from S. BC to the top of Baja.........
Moose, Your info is correct. There is much speculation as to the reason
for the cyclical ballooning population and then crash. One theory holds
that the grass is defending itself by incorporating natural birth
control substances. In reality no one knows, probably much more complex.

The mathematics of chaos theory apparently provide good models for these population behaviors. Then again, Newton and Einstein provide good models for the behavior of gravity, but never explain 'why'. (Curvature of space-time just moves the ultimate question farther away. I think it's just Mass Love that creates the attraction. :-) )

Moose

* disclaimer: I remember this from the one book I read about chaos theory and dont pretend to remember whether I understood that part of it back then, but that the graphs were interesting. Now, do I need to read the book I picked up about complexity theory, or is that just a renaming of chaos to make it less scary sounding?