Re: [lens] Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist

Subject: Re: [lens] Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:09:41 -0500
On Monday, November 24, 2003 at 12:50
Jim Brokaw <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> on 11/24/03 7:21 AM, fred42@xxxxxxxxx at fred42@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > When I got emails after my auctions being ended due to the 4lause I had
> > added eBay quoted that it is law in the state of California, specifically
> > relating to credit card surcharging. Not having read the law or being a
> > lawyer
> > I can't confirm it more than that. Perhaps if anyone has a merchant account
> > in
> > that state they can help us out with this one.
>
> I've seen it published in the newspaper by "Action Line" columnist a couple
> of times - there is a state law which forbids retail establishments from
> adding a surcharge for credit card payments. There is no law forbidding a
> discount for cash payment however, but you can't discriminate only against
> those who wish to use credit; it is presumed that they always have the
> alternative of paying cash so the cash discount is not discriminatory but
> rather a voluntary choice of the buyer to use the credit card at the higher
> cost. I think in any large purchase where you have the option of paying with
> cash or credit card you should ask the retail management if they will 'knock
> off 5 0.000000or cash payment?'. Americans in particular are not used to
> bargaining, but I've gotten some good discounts just by asking for something
> off the price for a cash deal.

Especially if you don't need a receipt....

> I generally request payment by 'money order only' stated up front in the
> auction, but I wonder sometimes if I'm losing potential revenue and bidders
> due to this. I have taken payment through PayPal a couple times, the fees
> weren't excessive, but I thought it wasn't worth it for the 'convenience' to
> me. Most all the other payment methods I've used as a buyer have stuck the
> fees on me, so when I can I pay by PayPal, but I try not to accept it for
> incoming payment. Similar to paying the full credit card balance every
> month, use the system for your advantage not theirs. I wish I was working so
> I could do that... <sigh>

Perhaps you could take paypal and offer a discount for money orders?

Paypal is attractive to bidders because it is faster and avoids a trip to
the PO.

tOM
----  Abacurial Information Management Consultants ----
Tom A. Trottier, President              http://abacurial.com
758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633 fax:+1 775 307-4133
        -- Benjamin Franklin